What about GIFLIB?

Maksim Lin maksim at swin.edu.au
Thu Jul 16 23:05:24 PDT 1998

Peter C.Mehlitz wrote:

> > Anyway, it's unfortunate that the current class library doesn't support
> > GIF images.  I understand the reasoning behind this, but would there be
> > any legal problems with using GIFLIB, if installed on the user's machine?
>
> D'Accord. I would love to throw in the GIF stuff, again. If somebody can proof
> me that we don't face legal trouble, you will get it. But, since libjpeg dropped
> it in 6b, I wouldn't be too optimistic.
>
> What we *can* do is twofold: using MemoryImageSources (probably a good idea for
> small "icons", anyway), and bringing in png (which I'm currently exploring).
> Peter

After finding out about the lack of gif support, I went looking for png
alternatives and found a gpl'd png java lib at :
http://www.visualtek.com/PNG/.  I've only just got it today so I haven't
had time to test it.

Maksim.

Maksim Lin

Centre for Object Technology Applications and Research
Swinburne University of Technology

http://www.csse.swin.edu.au/maksim