compatibility kaffe <-> visual cafe?

Andy Johnson andyj at mc.com
Fri Jul 17 07:57:34 PDT 1998

Not even close.  Visual Cafe is a RAD (Rapid Application Development)
tool built on top of Cafe, which is an IDE (Integrated Development
Environment) for Java.  It uses the JDK (Java Developers Kit) from
JavaSoft as its JVM (Java Virtual Machine), although it uses Symantec's
own Just-in-Time compiler.  As far as I know, this tool only runs on
win32 (Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0) environments.

Kaffe is designed to be a replacement, unencumbered JVM, not subject to
any of the Sun/JavaSoft licensing terms, since it is built strictly from
the JVM specification.  It contains none of the functionality of Visual
Cafe.

-AndyJ

--
E. Andrew Johnson  Tel: 978-256-0052 x482
Mercury Computer Systems Fax: 978-256-3599
199 Riverneck Road  andyj at mc.com
Chelmsford, MA 01824-2820 http://www.ma.ultranet.com/~andyjnsn