Sound support?

Jake Hamby jehamby at lightside.com
Sat Jul 18 19:53:35 PDT 1998

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Moshe Katz-Hyman wrote:

> Hello, I have a question.  Does Kaffe have sound support?  I am trying
> to run ICQJava on my machine an I get this error:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun/audio/AudioPlayer
>         at Mirabilis/ICQ/NetAware/CNetAwareApp.main(line unknown, pc
> 0x847b3ef)
>
> I saw someone with a question about supprt for .jar's
>  and the response said to include classes.zip in your class path.  I did
> that, but it still returns the same error.

I worked around this in a different way, by creating stub classes, such
as:

class AudioPlayer {
}

and putting them in a sun/audio folder inside the ICQ directory.  However,
I didn't get very far either, because ICQ needs GIF support, which is not
currently in Kaffe due to patent concerns.  I'm going to try to hack Kaffe
to use the GIFLIB library for decoding GIFs, if it's installed.  Then the
choice of whether to deal with the legal issues (see, e.g.
http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzwfaq.html) rests with the user.

-Jake