Compiling Kaffe 1.0b on Linux i386

Hoe-Teck Wee hoeteck at hempseed.com
Mon Jul 20 00:45:04 PDT 1998

Hello!

I downloaded the Kaffe snapshot dated 19 Jul 98 and tried to compile it on my
RedHat 5.0 (glibc) i386 Linux system as the binary RPMs seem to have some
trouble with running the AWT-based applets and applications. The newly compiled
binaries kept dumping core:

Cannot find essential class 'java/lang/Object' in class library ... aborting.
Aborted (core dumped)

I'm unable to identify the problem as the Linux FAQ is not very comprehensive,
and I didn't locate any instructions  Here's a partial list of the error
messages from config.log:

configure:1400: checking size of __int64
configure:1414: `__int64' undeclared (first use this function)
configure:1911: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lgmp  -lm -lc  1>&5
ld: cannot open -lgmp: No such file or directory
/usr/local/kaffe-snap/configure:2107: undefined reference to `dial'
ld: cannot open -lsocket: No such file or directory
ld: cannot open -lipc: No such file or directory
configure:2765: winnt.h: No such file or directory
configure:2765: sys/filio.h: No such file or directory

Can someone please tell me where I had gone wrong? I don't program in C (though
I do have some experience in getting programs to compile on Linux :) so I do
need - and would appreciate - some guidance. Thanx in advance!

- hoeteck