Cross-compiling Kaffe?

Michael Barr mbarr at tsi-telsys.com
Wed Jun 10 06:50:22 PDT 1998

Edwin Foo wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has tried compiling Kaffe using a cross-compiler,
> and would like to share their experiences?

Yes, I have tried it.  In truth I am still in the midst of a port to a
microSPARC-IIep based embedded system.  I'm using the Gnu Tools (compiler,
linker, etc.) hosted on Solaris.  The biggest challenge so far is the lack
of a filesystem or network on my target.  Unfortunately, eliminating these
dependencies requires significant modification of the Kaffe source.  And
it also raises challenging technical questions.  For example, What is a
class file in a filesystem-less environment?

Cheers,
	Michael
--
Michael Barr