Cross-compiling Kaffe?

Edwin Foo efoo at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 10 07:19:51 PDT 1998

At 09:50 AM 6/10/98 -0400, Michael Barr wrote:
>Yes, I have tried it.  In truth I am still in the midst of a port to a
>microSPARC-IIep based embedded system.  I'm using the Gnu Tools (compiler,
>linker, etc.) hosted on Solaris.  The biggest challenge so far is the lack
>of a filesystem or network on my target.  Unfortunately, eliminating these
>dependencies requires significant modification of the Kaffe source.  And
>it also raises challenging technical questions.  For example, What is a
>class file in a filesystem-less environment?

Well, on my target platform (StrongARM-based Itsy board) I am lucky to have
a virtual RAM disk, so I intend to put my class files there. Perhaps you
could do the same for your device and write a pseudo-disk driver to lessen
the porting effort required?

My nagging question is whether it really is as easy as running ./configure
--target==blablabla, assuming you have a cross-compiling toolchain, or have
people run into problems with the actual configuration and compilation of
Kaffe?

-Edwin

Edwin Foo        | MIT Computer Science '98 - Systems and Architecture
efoo at mit.edu     | DEC Cambridge Research Lab - Scalable Computing Group
(617) 225-9715   | Residential Computing Consultant (RCC) Developer

       "Love must be sincere; Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."
http://hesed.mit.edu/~efoo                       - Romans 12:9 <><