Kaffe using VC++

Michael Gesundheit mikeg at rocketmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:40:26 PST 1998

---Tony Juricic <tonko at evcom.net> wrote:

> >         I have been trying to compile kaffe with
VC++ 5.0 for the last
> > couple of days. But i keep getting compile time
errors especially
> > with signals.
>
> Not surprising since Win32 does not support signals
that Kaffe uses.

True.

> You would need Cygwin32 to compile Kaffe
successfully on a PC
> ( see one earlier post of mine regarding this in
Kaffe mailing list ).

Not true. Search the mail archive for my postings.
I had kaffe build under VC++5.0. It ran all the test
scripts. I indeed didn't try it for a lot more since
this was done for pay by a big company as an
experiment.
alarm() was implemented with an additional win32
thread.

> >        Has any one compiled kaffe with VC++? If
yes, can u
> > send me the list of changes u made to the
original kaffe code
> > to make it work with VC++?
>
> That would be a major thing since it would mean
that somebody
> implemented Kaffe threads on Win32. Every once in a
while I mess
> with it but never find sufficient time.
> I arrived at the conclusion, thanks also to useful
comments from other people,
> that it can not be done to function reliably on
Windows 95 and, in fact,
> Win32 native threads should be used instead of
Kaffe internal threads.

> That is easier said than done partly due to the
fact that there is no
> documentation - you must read and get familiar with
almost all of the
> source code.
>
> Furthermore, while Kaffe 0.9.1 compiled with
Cygwin32 more or less
> works, Kaffe 0.9.2 has exception error when
executing the simplest