Kaffe and HP-UX 10.20

Ralf Hildebrandt R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de
Tue Nov 10 11:43:14 PST 1998

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 11:43:08AM -0700, Godmar Back wrote:

> I have no clue what you're talking when you say "infamous HP linker problem".
> However, if you have a solution as to how we can change the configure/make
> setup so that it would work, we would be happy to see it and include the
> patches.  Send them as unified diffs.

Basically this is due to HP's linker hardcodes the location of the
shared library into the executable! (Same for the IBM AIX linker)

This of course causes the shared lib "../kaffevm/libkaffevm.sl" not
to be found :( (in fact ANY lib created during make using a relative
path...)

One has to relink the binaries AFTER the shared libraries have been
installed at their proper places. I did that and now it works fine.
Gimp & GTk use a tool called "libtool" for that - which re-links
the binaries during "make install":

See: http://www.profitpress.com/libtool/libtool.html

> As for your other problems with the "resource temporarily unavailable"
> error msg, this has been pointed out before, but nobody has come up with
> an acceptable patch or solution.  If people want to debug this, I'd encourage
> them to experiment with the jthreadedFileDescriptor function in jthread.c and
> see what effect these weird ioctl's have that are only in there for HP-UX.
> Unfortunately, I don't have access to a HP-UX 10.x system.

That's one more reason to call it "HP-SUX".

--
Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de> http://www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb
There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.