Solaris 2.5.1 problems

peter at transvirtual.com peter at transvirtual.com
Sun Nov 22 19:06:31 PST 1998

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Ron Searls wrote:
>I'm trying to get kaffe running on Solaris 2.5.1 with the CDE windowing
>environment.  I'm using GNU cc 2.8.1, GNU make 2.77 and GNU ld .  I'm
>building kaffe using the Nov. 17 kaffe-snap distribution.  When I run test
>applications (not applets) such as CatalogViewer and FingerD, the graphics/
>windows are messed up.  Typically the window's horizontal width is the
>entire screen.  Vertically I have one app which has a totally closed
>window, and one which is totally open (fills the entire screen).  Icons are
>not drawn.  The mouse is tracked, but not always with great accuracy.  If I
>run these same apps with Sun's JRE, they seem to work OK.

Hmm, seems you have serious window manager trouble. Can you switch to another
WM to check if it is CDE-related? Does it happen with *all* apps (esp. a simple
Frame test), or just with the ones you mentioned? Please dump also coordinates
in wnd.c createWndow() / wndSetFrameBounds(), to see if this might be caused by
layout. The whole layout/validation scheme is currently reworked, but the old
one shouldn't produce your bugs, too.

-- Peter