Problems in building Kaffe 1.0.b2 on SunOS 4.1.3. HELP!!

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Thu Nov 5 08:33:09 PST 1998

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build Kaffe 1.0.b2 on SunOS 4.1.3. and am encountering the
>
> following problems:
>
> 1) The make didn't know how to build gc-mem.o. Problem stemed
>    from the fact that gc-mem.c was under the
>    kaffe/kaffevm/mem subdirectory, but the build expected it under
>    kaffe/kaffevm. Solution was to simply copy the file to kaffe/kaffevm.

Hmm, I just took a look at the Makefile and it does appear as
though we do rely on a make that understands the VPATH variable.
SunOS's native make does not.

We should either fix that or detect it in the configure process
and then bail.

That means two choices for now for you: either do what Alexandre
suggested and get gmake, or try to fix it.  I think prepending
mem/ like so might work:
	mem/gc-mem$(OBJEXT)

> 2) The make had the following error:
>    "Loop detected when expanding macro value X/tlk$(OBJEXT) ..."
>
>    This was caused by the Makefile.in at libraries/clib/awt. I have
>    put this line in a comment and circumvented the problem. Does anybody
>
>    know what causes this error? I have no idea what would be the effect
> of putting
>    this line in a comment (no AWT?).

It's caused by a trailing slash, which you must remove.
Again, this fix is already in the current CVS.

> 3) The problem I'm currently stuck with is the following make error
> message:
>
>    "Don't know how to make target gc-mem.o"
>
>    gc-mem.c appears in systems/unix-internal and systems/unix-jthreads,
> and
>    so is probably expected to be also in another directory. How can this
>
>    be solved?

I don't know what you mean by gc-mem.c appears in systems/* ...
it shouldn't.  I hope this a follow-up mistake.

> This is the crop of half-a-day of trying to build Kaffe. I wonder how
> many build problems are still ahead.

 Sorry about that.
There are only few users of SunOS left, and most of them seem to
use gmake.

	- Godmar