Java Bytecode Profiler

andrew raymond trick a-trick at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 10 11:21:12 PST 1998

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Patrick Tullmann wrote:

> I have a set of hacks for an old version of Kaffe that record each
> method entry/exit and who called it.  The dynamic number of *bytecode*
> instructions executed on a per-method basis, and it records the number
> of times each bytecode is interpreted (e.g., 10,000 newarray, etc...)
>
> If anyone's interested, I can send out the code for maintaining the
> profiling info.  A number of hacks to the interpreter loop need to be
> incorporated, they would have to be moved from my mostly
> unrecognizable interpreter loop, but I could do that with a little
> prodding....

I think that it would be very nice to have the "-profile" switch finally
implemented.  If there is any way to get your profiling code incorporated
in the code base, I am strongly in favor.  I think it would be ok
to require Kaffe to be recompiled with a preprocessor definition--
"-DKAFFE_PROFILE" or whatever.

I also had to implement a similar profiler on my own, but it is not as
complete as yours.

Andy