hotjava

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Mon Nov 16 10:06:37 PST 1998

 Edouard,

 Unfortunately, releasing static locks is only part of a more fundamental
problem.   In other instances, the problem results in memory leaks and
state corruption.  Basically, if a function doesn't return because it
throws an exception, the caller won't have a chance to clean up its local
state (locks, memory, other data structures).
Look at such functions as tidyVerifyMethod or functions that need to free
memory before returning.

We discussed various solutions, and decided to go with old-fashioned
error code propagation.  I have a simple error code based solution almost
done, and hope I'll be able to check it in soon.
With that code, I did in fact get to the sun.misc.VM problem already.

	- Godmar