Heavy Kaffe I/O at startup

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Fri Oct 16 09:19:24 PDT 1998

 Archie,

> > Probably what needs to happen is that somewhere a bunch of I/O
> > is being done via read(), write(), lseek(), etc. and it needs
> > to be done via fread(), fwrite(), fseek(), etc. instead.

No no no.
It used to be done via fread() etc., but this broke the threaded
I/O subsystem, which is why we changed it.  We cannot use stdio
in Kaffe because it will not use the routines of the threading
subsystem.  So scrap that patch.

An older version of Kaffe used mmap with a PRIVATE mapping, but
unfortunately, this code seems to be gone.  If you want to fix it,
putting that code back in would be one solution for systems supporting
private mappings.

The other alternative is to write a simple stdio-like buffer scheme,
which should only be a few lines of code.

	- Godmar