Heavy Kaffe I/O at startup

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Fri Oct 16 10:36:37 PDT 1998

Godmar Back writes:
> > > Probably what needs to happen is that somewhere a bunch of I/O
> > > is being done via read(), write(), lseek(), etc. and it needs
> > > to be done via fread(), fwrite(), fseek(), etc. instead.
>
> No no no.
> It used to be done via fread() etc., but this broke the threaded
> I/O subsystem, which is why we changed it.  We cannot use stdio
> in Kaffe because it will not use the routines of the threading
> subsystem.  So scrap that patch.
>
> An older version of Kaffe used mmap with a PRIVATE mapping, but
> unfortunately, this code seems to be gone.  If you want to fix it,
> putting that code back in would be one solution for systems supporting
> private mappings.
>
> The other alternative is to write a simple stdio-like buffer scheme,
> which should only be a few lines of code.

Hmm.. I believe you, but I don't understand why using fread/fwrite
breaks anything that using read/write doesn't already break.

All stdio does is interpose buffering between the client and
the system call... ultimately it uses the same system calls.

In other words, how does stdio differ from "a simple stdio-like
buffer scheme" in the sense of thread safety?

Thanks,
-Archie