findLoadedClass

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Thu Sep 17 10:05:12 PDT 1998

> ClassLoader.findLoadedClass() as implemented is wrong.  (As noted in the
> code.)  While the JDK 1.1 was silent as to what it did, the 1.2 doc is
> clear.  Basically it should return a reference to the class if it is loaded
> or null if not.  I use it in my classloader in loadClass to check if the
> class is loaded before trying to define the class, but with the current
> implementation an infinitely recursive call results...
>
> Looking into the code there didn't seem to be a nice way using native code
> to check for a class being loaded without causing creation of a class entry
> for the class being looked for.  (Boy my english suxs!)  I would be glad
> fix it if somebody could suggest the best way of checking for a loaded
> class.

 Hmmm, you say "as noted in the code"? Could you be more specific?

The implementation simply looks whether it's in the hashtable
of classes loaded by the classloader:

final protected Class findLoadedClass(String name) {
	return ((Class)loader.get(name));
}

Can you described where the infinitely recursive call results?

	- Godmar