Cross compiling for m68k/netbsd (was: Re: -fPIC for m68k/netbsd)

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Fri Apr 9 21:20:21 PDT 1999

On Apr  9, 1999, Kiyo Inaba <inaba at src.ricoh.co.jp> wrote:

> I've tested with binutils-2.6, 2.81, or 2.91 but the result
> is same. BTW, '/usr/bin/as' on NetBSD 1.3.1 is 1.92.3 according
> to the program itself.

Assembly syntax is not the same for all assemblers.  gcc may be
configured to use GNU as (--with-gnu-as) or not, and it will adapt the
assembly syntax it emits accordingly.  Also, I'm not sure stock gcc
supports netbsd yet (I'm not sure whether it was netbsd's or openbsd's
port that was recently installed in the egcs CVS tree), and netbsd's
port of gcc may not be configured to use GNU as syntax :-(

> It looks that we can only generate fully statically linked version
> of Kaffe on cross environment :-<

Too bad :-(

This problem will hopefully be fixed in the next release of egcs.

> If my assumption is correct, we can put this into 'config.frag' or
> libtools. I prefer the later.

I'm still not 100% convinced of the existence of a problem, because
you've used -fpic, not -fPIC, which libtool would use, unless I'm
mistaken.  If the same problem occurs with -fPIC, then libtool should
indeed not create shared libraries with GNU binutils on netbsd/m68k
:-(

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Brasil
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}