configure problems

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Wed Aug 11 11:05:42 PDT 1999

On Aug 11, 1999, jim hopper <hopperj at macconnect.com> wrote:

> checking for ld used by GCC... sed: -e expression #1, char 7: Unterminated
> `s' command

What do you get with `gcc -print-prog-name=ld'?  What if you run
configure with bash (CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash /bin/bash configure
--args)?  You might also try to get libtool.m4, ltconfig and ltmain.sh
from the latest snapshot (or libtoolize -f with the latest libtool)
and see if this changes anything...  Or you can just set the
environment variable LD to point to

> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-apple-machten4/2.8.1/ld

> as to the size, i am doing a native compiler on machten using gcc
> 2.8.1.

Are there filename size limitations?  For example, if the limit was 8
characters, it would try to read from `conftest' instead of
`conftestval'.

> configure:2429: gcc -o conftest.xcoff -g -fsigned-char   conftest.c  1>&5
                                 ^^^^^^

Ah, wait!  This looks like an autoconf bug that mis-detects .xcoff as
the executable extension, just because the linker creates a file with
that extension *in addition* to the executable.  I'm not sure the bug
has already been fixed in newer releases of autoconf, but you can
always override it by setting `ac_cv_exeext=""' in your environment.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,guarana.{org,com}} aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}