Kaffe stack bounds checks

Tim Wilkinson tim at transvirtual.com
Sun Aug 22 16:36:33 PDT 1999

Will,

The new JIT3 stuff (available in the CVS tree) uses a slightly different
mechanism to check the stack bounds - it still does an explict check on
function entry but this check is now *much* faster than before.  The
reason for doing an explicit check rather than using the MMU to do this
(which would indeed be faster) is largely because I'm not keen to force
the need for an MMU (some of our targets don't have them).

It might be possible to provide both scheme however which would be an
obvious plus.

There's also the issue of intefacing such a scheme with a native threading
scheme on some platforms - I've not looked in to this.

Regards
Tim