[Kaffe] can the classpath project be used with Kaffe.

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Tue Feb 9 16:24:50 PST 1999

On Feb  9, 1999, Moses DeJong <dejong at cs.umn.edu> wrote:

> I was just reading up on the classpath project and it seem that they
> are using the LGPL while Kaffe uses the GPL. Does this mean that classpath
> code can not be used in the Kaffe project?

Nope, LGPL is compatible with GPL.

>  I am not advocating that Kaffe's java libs be replaced, I am just
>  saying that it would be nice to be able to compare implementations
>  of the java.* classes in classpath and Kaffe.

Certainly.  I, for one, would find it great.  There are certain parts
of Classpath that are much more mature than Kaffe's.  Furthermore, I
understand that Transvirtual cannot use code people contribute to the
GPLed Kaffe in the custom edition (except code from people that have
signed papers giving them explicit permission to do so), therefore
adopting Classpath for the GPLed edition of Kaffe would be a step
forward in terms of JDK-compatibility, because the Free Software
community wouldn't be duplicating efforts.

But then, Tim and Peter might not like that move.  I'd appreciate to
have input from them about this idea.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}