[Kaffe] can the classpath project be used with Kaffe.

Alex Nicolaou anicolao at mud.cgl.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Feb 9 22:06:01 PST 1999

Godmar Back wrote:

> So, I would agree that Japhar does indeed serve a different need than
> Kaffe, but this is not true for classpath and kaffe's libs, assuming that
> the copyright is amended to exclude the (unlikely) scenario I described
> above.

The (admittedly unlikely) scenario is not the only one that
distinguishes Classpath from Kaffe's Libs. Just as Transvirtual wishes
to stop use of the Kaffe VM code in competing proprietary commercial
VMs, the GPL on the Kaffe libs mean that the Kaffe lib can't be used as
part of a competing proprietary runtime. So by the same logic that you
conclude that Japhar and Kaffe server a different need, you must also
conclude that Classpath and Kaffe's libs serve a different need, since
Classpath can be used in a commercial Java runtime.

alex