[Kaffe] can the classpath project be used with Kaffe.

Moses DeJong dejong at cs.umn.edu
Tue Feb 9 22:51:22 PST 1999

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Godmar Back wrote:

> > The (admittedly unlikely) scenario is not the only one that
> > distinguishes Classpath from Kaffe's Libs. Just as Transvirtual wishes
> > to stop use of the Kaffe VM code in competing proprietary commercial
> > VMs, the GPL on the Kaffe libs mean that the Kaffe lib can't be used as
> > part of a competing proprietary runtime. So by the same logic that you
> > conclude that Japhar and Kaffe server a different need, you must also
> > conclude that Classpath and Kaffe's libs serve a different need, since
> > Classpath can be used in a commercial Java runtime.
> >

> Okay, I think I see what you're getting at.
> Let's follow that discussion for a while because the only thing that
> excites nerds more than Microsoft bashing is discussions about the
> licensing issues.
>
> Say you wrote your own java.beans, but you would want to use Kaffe's
> java.io/java.lang.  Or you wrote your own java.beans, but you would want
> to use classpath's java.io+lang.
>
> So you have two combos:
>
> a) your java.beans/kaffe's java.io+lang
> b) your java.beans/classpath's java.io+lang.

I assume you are talking about releasing the code for use in both the
classpath and kaffe libs. In this case, I would think you would need
to release it under the LGPL for use in Classpath. If it was going to
be distributed with Kaffe, then you would need to release it with a
GPL license. Of course this all depends on how you define the
"linking" terminology in the GPL. I am facing this situation right
now as I am currently working on a replacement for the
sun.tools.jar.Main program that I would like see added to both the
Kaffe and Classpath projects.

Mo DeJong
dejong at cs.umn.edu