[Kaffe] can the classpath project be used with Kaffe.

Jules Bean jmlb2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 10 00:31:14 PST 1999

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Godmar Back wrote:

> You must not look at Sun's code when working on Kaffe/classpath, but you
> don't have to leave this planet.

It's a funny one, this.

I'm a registered owner of Symantec Visual Cafe for Java.  That comes with
the source to sun's JDK.  I certainly didn't sign anything saying I
wouldn't look at the source code and learn.  Can they stop me?  They can
stop me copying code - that's copyright - but can they stop me looking and
learning?

Also note that in europe, at least, there is a right to reverse-engineer
for the purpose of compatibility.  Read jar files certainly fits in that
ball-park.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules at jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd	       |
|  Jules aka     | jules at debian.org              |  Richmond, Surrey   |