[Kaffe] does anyone care about this jar feature?

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Thu Feb 11 07:52:54 PST 1999

Moses DeJong writes:
> It is not a "problem" in the sense that it can not be done, I just think
> it is a little ugly and I really doubt that people are really using this
> feature. I did not even know it existed until I started REALLY looking
> at the tool docs. It could also get a little ugly when you combine it
> with the new -C (change dir while processing the jar command) option.
> I am not sure Sun really thought through some of these JDK1.2 jar
> changes.

I think, all other things being equal, it would be best if we were
as compatible as possible with Sun's jar. Otherwise, we'll get a
bunch of people complaining about the differences.

Also, the statement that 'I really doubt that people are really
using this' is a little suspect to me.. I believe that you doubt
it, but I don't believe that it's actually true just because you
think it :-) And therefore this is not a justification. In my
experience, there's always some crazy dude somewhere doing just
the thing that you never expected they'd do.

Finally, couldn't you do a 'quick' hack to support this by reading
and writing out temporary files? ..which we could improve on later.

-Archie