[Kaffe] java.io.File(Input|Output)Stream question.

Moses DeJong dejong at cs.umn.edu
Fri Feb 12 15:02:21 PST 1999

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Moses DeJong writes:
> > Oh, I get it now, you are saying that a file writer could hit a unix
> > file that does not have write permission. If that was the case then the
> > reader could also run into a file without read permission. So I guess
> > the problem is that there would be no way to tell if a file existed but
> > was not readable when a FileNotFoundException is thrown by a reader.
> > So, this does seem like a bug in the Sun spec after all. Does this
> > mean we should change the implementation of Kaffe's FileInputStream to
> > throw an IOException instead of a FileNotFoundException. I took a look
>
> No, that would break classes compiled to the JDK spec.
>
> > the Kaffe's impl of FileInputStream and it does throw an IOException
> > but it then catches the IOException and rethrows it as a
> > FileNotFoundException.  A less specific exception like an IOException
> > should not be rethrown as a more specific exception like a
> > FileNotFoundException. It seems like this is a bug in the Sun JDK docs
> > and implementation. Does anyone agree with me?

How would that help? I have been working with java for years and I have
file many a bug report and I can tell you that this is a waste of time.
Sun ignores bug reports. It is just a fact of life. If you do not
believe me just check out these bug reports that I filed last year
(4156278 and 4186776). These are real bugs but they have been ignored.

Mo DeJong
dejong at cs.umn.edu