Bug: Float(String) and X

Joerg Wittenberger Joerg.Wittenberger at pobox.com
Fri Feb 12 10:24:51 PST 1999

Hello folks,

The Bug not coming up seems to be related to X initialization
somehow. when I start end exit the app and restart it again, it often
doesn't come up.  Sometimes I end up with an error message like this:

/usr/bin/Kaffe: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6: undefined symbol: _XSetClipRectangles

(The undefined symbol varies.)

If I start another X app (and keep it runing until the kaffe app is up
and running) it starts.  It looks as if every initialization of the
same window id fails.

Hm.  No 100% longer sure about the above.  I started kaffe under
strace.  This failed all the time with some timer expiring or simillar
problems.  Anyway most of the time playing some X start/stop progs
gives a work around.

-------

For the Float(String) Bug: I could track it down a bit.  As the kaffe
source implements Float in terms of Double I found a work around.

The following should help someone who knows the code a bit better.

Float.valueOf("7.0")                 -> works

method(String some_parameter) {
  Float.valueOf(some_parameter)      -> fails

Double.vaueOf(some_parameter)        -> works

Double(some_parameter)               -> works

------

Regards

/Jerry