memory defragmentation & a question

Joerg Wittenberger Joerg.Wittenberger at pobox.com
Tue Feb 16 08:35:38 PST 1999

RK> !!! Error 3032 - Recursion error. See error 3032. !!!

Is this the message? ;-)

I get all you mail twice through the kaffe list.  Is this you or am I
subscribed twice?

The other thing is, I recently subscribe to the list.  The
subscribtion request returned with some correction.  In the meantime
two bug reports have left my machine.  Did they arrive at the list?
Here are short forms of them:

Report A:

Float happend to be broken.  I found that Float(String) gave the same
as Float().  Also Float.floatValueOf(String) did not work except when
giving a string constant.  As a workaround I replaced it through my
prog with Double - which works.  I could not figure how this can be,
as the souce proofed that Float is implemented with Double.

Report B:

When I start up a very simple awt application (using X) I wrote merly
for demonstration purpose, it always comes up very fast the first
time.  The second time the window appear with a chance of 1 out of 6.
If I start another X app then the kaffe/awt app comes up immidiatly.
It appear as if every second X initialization fails.  Playing around
with other X apps sometimes fixes it.

Here is Report C:

When I start kawa (a nice scheme implementation in java) as "kawa -w"
it always comes up (opposed to report B).  I can type as the kawa
prompt, but when I press enter, nothing seems to happen.  (If I start
kawa without the -w, which starts it up as a command line application,
I can talk to it as expeted.)

And an additional question:

When I run my app, which doesn't do much except puting together some
sql statements out of a dialog and send them to a subprocess (no jdbc
involved, just wrinting to a pipe), and I type in approximatly 150x7
strings (which took about 1 1/2 hour real time), the kaffe machine eat
up about 15 minuts cpu time, much more that the X server or everything
else.  Is this normal?  Not that it was too slow (well, the machin is
fast) but it appear somewhat inefficient to me.  Also cut&past from X
takes for ever (approx half a sec).

/Jerry