[OPTIMIZED] java.lang

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Tue Feb 23 23:39:51 PST 1999

Robert Zawiasa writes:
> here is a somewhat bigger patch for the java.lang package,
> it applies cleanly on the current public cvs (checked in an hour):

Robert, thanks very much for your fixes. While we definitely welcome
any help we can get, right now we can't handle patches that contain
a bunch of whitespace/reformatting changes. It's simply too time
consuming to review. Moreover, kaffe is still in the 'just get the
darn bugs fixed' phase and not in the 'shine and buff' phase yet.
Anyway, I did commit most of your changes -- and thanks again.

-Archie

> * Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit(boolean) must be static

Checked in.

> * Serializable declarations and serialVersionUID definitions completed

Did not check these in pending Tim/Godmar review.

> * Integer.decode(String) threw NumberFormatException on pure "0" (zero)

Checked in.

> * some uninstantiable classes missed the private constructor

Checked in.

> * do not observe String internals from classes other than StringBuffer

Checked in.

> * wrong conversion value in Character.toTitleCase(char)

Checked in.

> * some StringIndexOutOfBoundsException checks were missing

According to http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/api/
these should throw IndexOutOfBoundsException rather than
StringIndexOutOfBoundsException (although the subclass would
still be legal). Also, IndexOutOfBoundsException gets "inherited"
from System.arraycopy() so the extra checks are not always needed.

So I didn't include any of these... however, I think some portion
of them is still needed.

> * some checkPropertiesAccess()s were missing from

Checked in.

> * the rest is heavy code optimization and clean-up

To painful to review :-)

-Archie