[Kaffe] ease of use patch.

Jan Weerts weerts at pu.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Feb 25 04:01:15 PST 1999

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>`java' is not a keyword, `class' is.  Nevertheless, this is all
>irrelevant: the question is whether `class' and `java' are valid class
>names in terms of bytecode, not in terms of Java source.

Hi there,

Using the given example (and the 'class'-version):
  public class java {
    public static void main(String[] argv) {
      System.out.println("java ran");
    }
  }

I created two class-files demonstrating that 'class' and 'java' are
valid classnames. Prove done by execution on different VMs :-), not
the spec. Find them attached.

Tested on: kaffe-snapshot		SunOS 4.1.3_U1
	   jdk1.1.6			SunOS 5.5.1
	   Symantec Java for jdk1.1.x	WinNT 4

For me it looks like the VMs accept most class names. As someone
already noted, we talk about two different things here. Compilation of
java-sourcecode and interpretation of java-bytecode.

The compilers seem to vary in behaviour (who would have thought
that). For the java.java-version the jdk-compiler gives following
error, where pizza runs smoothly:
  error: File ./java.java does not contain nested type
	 java. lang.Object as expected. Please adjust the class path
	 so that the file does not appear in the unnamed package.
  java.java:1: Superclass java. lang.Object of class java not found.

IMHO the second lines shows, that Sun's compiler already interprets the
"java" as a start of a hierachical class name. The opinions about this
being correct or not may vary...

Errors are the same for class.java on both compilers (keyword).

Two sidenotes on execution:
- Accidently creating wrong bytecode with wrong type signature
  (missing return-type of println) showed different behaviour on Sun's
  VM and Kaffe's:
    Sun: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.io.PrintStream: method
				      println(Ljava/lang/String;) not found
    Kaffe: Abort

- Having this error, I also tried wrong paramter types (int instead of
  String) and had different results:
    Kaffe: 3931392
    Sun: -312041552
  Is this a problem of different machines/operating systems? Not that
  I want a bytecode-error to be executed on all platforms in the same
  way :-).
  Verfifying the bytecode on Sun's compiler just gives the
  blarney-answer: Can't find class class

Thanks to all you delevopers out there. Else I would have no good java
on my old SunOS4.1.3 system
  Jan
--
Jan Weerts         for my PGP key: send email with subject "get pgp key"
                                             #include <spammers-warning>