Jar Files and memory footprint...

Maxim Kizub max at immsp.kiev.ua
Fri Jan 8 22:14:30 PST 1999

Hello.

Godmar, this may be the reason of enormouse
memory usage for kiev compiler too, isn't it?

We've fixed one memory leaking bug with zip files,
and I get 50% of memory usage decrease.
There may be another memory leak bug somewere
there. Remember my statistic - it was
50-60 Mb for kaffe before bugfix and about 35 Mb
after, while Sun spends only 8 Mb. I expect kaffe
to spend not more 10-12 Mb normally, so, there
must be another bug like that fixed one.

Is there a way to find it? Maybe, adding an additional
"debug" argument to gc_malloc and gc_free. I.e. something like
#if MEMORY_PROFILE
#define gc_malloc(id,size) ...
#else
#define gc_malloc(id,size) gc_malloc_internal(size)
#endif

And watch the profile for allocated but not freed points,
I mean, first argument is to be unique ID for each gc_malloc
point.

This may help in finding current memory leaks, and will
prevent them in future.