Compiling Kaffe 2

Maxim Kizub max at immsp.kiev.ua
Fri Jan 8 22:02:51 PST 1999

>Hi,
>Thanks for the pointers to the compiler.
>
>I have a two more questions.
>
>1. I tried to Kaffe VM but I get some parse error in stdlib.h
>   I have downloaded kaffe-1_0_b3.zip and Cygwin B20.1
>
>   I am compiling on WinNT 4.0 though. I don't think that
>   should cause any compilation problem or am I wrong?
>   Should I compile on win95 only?

IMHO, there will be problems with kaffe both under NT & 95.
Sometimes ago I tryed to make this trick, and even makes
kaffe to compile, but it used to crash because of assert violations
of different types.

I mean, it's just can be compiled (with a little hack) but will not
work. You need spend some time to make working
WIN32 port of kaffe, if you need it.

>2. Inorder to compile kaffe on linux for x86 do I need
>   anything more than kaffe-1_0_b3.zip and GNUPro Toolkit
>   for Linux? Or is there a free version of the compiler
>   available for Linux too?

It should compile under linux without any special
toolkits. Most (all?) distributions has full developer
support (I mean - gcc/egcs compiler, libs and so on).
Just run setup and install them, if you do not have
them installed ;-)

PS And use kaffe CVS, not snapshorts or beta releases.
Bugs are fixed about every day. And code changes
very fast.

Regards
  Maxim Kizub