portability questions

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Sat Jan 9 15:27:11 PST 1999

> 1. I'm planning to update my system from Linux RH 5.0 to 5.2. I noticed
> some messages on the list signaling some incompatibilities from the 2.0
> kernel to the newer ones. Is kaffe working on RH 5.2?

I think so.
The incompatibilities only showed up when you tried to compile on a certain
version and executed on a different version.  Compiling and running on the
same version should always work.

> 2. On a SunOS 5.6 machine, configure breaks with the following output:
> checking for gethostname... yes
> checking for gethostbyname... no
> checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... yes
> checking for connect... no
> checking for connect in -lsocket... yes
> checking for deflate in -lz... no
> checking for mpz_add in -lgmp... no
> checking for X... ./configure: conftestdir: does not exist
>
> "conftestdir" is there. I used today's snapshot. Any help would be
> appreciated.

 Kaffe's current CVS repository is utterly broken, due to the ongoing
conversion to automake.   Alexandre is working on fixing things.

	- Godmar