Current kaffe broken ?

Maksim Lin maksim at swin.edu.au
Mon Jan 11 21:22:19 PST 1999

Godmar Back wrote:
[...]
> > I'd appreciate any pointers as I'm a bit confused by the whole
> > autoconf/automake system.
> >

>  You are not alone that you find it confusing, but be assured that we
> will get things in a working order again quickly.

Thats good to hear, I've probably gotten too complacent about even kaffe
from CVS building "out of the box", not to mention the proper stable
releases.

> There is a guy in Brasil (sleeping right now after a 36 hacking session)
> who will fix all this and bring the Kaffe universe in a working order
> once he gets back to it.  We all appreciate his efforts.

I'm sure that one it's finished Alexandre will have made things much
easier for everyone in the long run.

> Just send mail to oliva at dcc.unicamp.br and mention everything that
> could be important (versions of OS, architecture, buildtools, etc.)

I've just gone to cygnus's web site and followed a few links to
doucmentation about configure/autoconf/automake (and there's alot of
it!) so I'm going to read up on this stuff so that I can actually send
in some more intelligent bug reports in the future :-).

BTW I've also found a strange bug to do with Resource bundles when I try
to use a DList in an app I'm working on, which is a component in the
doggui widget set (http://www.dog.net.uk/knife/gui.html) I get the
following error:

java.util.MissingResourceException: no bundles found:
kaffe.text.collator.locale
        at java/lang/Throwable.<init>(37)
        at java/lang/Exception.<init>(21)
        at java/lang/RuntimeException.<init>(21)
        at java/util/MissingResourceException.<init>(22)
        at java/util/ResourceBundle.getBundle(82)
        at java/text/Format.getResources(43)
        at java/text/Collator.getInstance(78)
        at java/text/Collator.getInstance(74)
        at dog/util/ObjectCollator.<init>(48)
        at dog/gui/ItemCollator.<init>(45)
        at dog/gui/DList.<init>(307)
        at dog/gui/DList.<init>(281)
        at jwe/saje/TypeList.<init>(20)
        at jwe/saje/SrcFileEditor.<init>(36)
        at jwe/saje/MainFrame.<init>(36)
        at jwe/saje/MainFrame.main(75)

I found mentions of previous work done on resourcebundles in the
changelog
(from changelog:

Tue Aug  4 10:48:23 1998  Wolfgang Muees <wolfgang at wmsickte.escape.de>

        * libraries/javalib/java/util/ResourceBundle.java: don't call
        newInstance in getSpecificBundle if object cannot be cast to
Bundle.
)
, but I don't know whether this is related that or not.It seems that the
resource thats being requested is not set but who is supposed to be
setting it ? the kaffe vm when it starts ?
I've looked in the code for kaffe's java.util.ResourceBundle and what
seems to happen is that getSpecificBundle method call is returning null
which causes the exception to be thrown, but why I can't figure out.

This seems to be the only "showstopper" for getting my app (which uses
doggui widgets) to run on kaffe as all the other doggui components seem
to work ok.

Maksim.

--
Maksim Lin