Current kaffe broken ?

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Mon Jan 11 20:02:29 PST 1999

 Maxim,

> I've just checked out the current kaffe srcs out of the CVS, but I got a
> error while trying to build it of:
>
> creating .libs/KaffeS.c
> extracting global C symbols from `main.o'
> (cd .libs && gcc -c -fno-builtin "KaffeS.c")
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -o .libs/Kaffe .libs/KaffeS.o
> -Wl,--export-dynamic -lm -lm -lm -lz -lm -lm -lm -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lgif
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lm main.o -Wl,--rpath
> -Wl,/usr/local/lib ../kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.so -lm -lm -lm -lm
> ./kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.so: undefined reference to `dlerror'
> ./kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.so: undefined reference to `dlclose'
> ./kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.so: undefined reference to `dlopen'
> ./kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.so: undefined reference to `dlsym'
> make[2]: *** [Kaffe] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/maks/src/kaffe/kaffe/kaffe'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/maks/src/kaffe/kaffe'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

This looks like you're missing a -ldl somewhere somehow.

> I'm not sure whether this is me having done something wrong or with the
> new automake procedure (my last build of srcs I checked out a week ago
> worked perfectly), since when I ran configure --program-prefix=k, the
> messages I got looked like the configure process was happening twice and
> then it looks like it gets repeated again when you make (or is this
> whats supposed to happen with using automake ?).
>
> BTW I have old versions of automake & autoconf dtected, but the error
> messages from configure said that this would only be a problem if I
> wanted to change the srcs, which I haven't (or have got this wrong too
> ?)
>
> I'd appreciate any pointers as I'm a bit confused by the whole
> autoconf/automake system.

 You are not alone that you find it confusing, but be assured that we
will get things in a working order again quickly.

There is a guy in Brasil (sleeping right now after a 36 hacking session)
who will fix all this and bring the Kaffe universe in a working order
once he gets back to it.  We all appreciate his efforts.

Just send mail to oliva at dcc.unicamp.br and mention everything that
could be important (versions of OS, architecture, buildtools, etc.)

	- Godmar