Compiler issue...

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Tue Jan 26 10:20:44 PST 1999

Prashanth K.S. writes:
>   i'm using a non-GNU compiler to compile kaffe code and obviously it
> complains when it finds code using GNU extensions to C, like
> arithmetic on void pointers, arrays of length zero
> etc.
>
>   what is the best way to go about compiling with the same compiler
> (without a GNU compiler) ?
>
>   can some one give ideas for arithmetic on void pointers problem in
> particular ?
>
>   similarly, can someone give suggestions for changing the assembly code
> (which seems to be understood only by GNU assembler) ?

I think arithmetic on void pointers is easily handled with typecasts.
Zero length arrays can often be changed to length 1 arrays and the
corresponding code modified (within #ifndef __GNUC__ of course).

If you have reasonable patches that make kaffe more ANSI-friendly
we can commit them.

As for assembler code, that's a harder problem.

What is the possibility of getting gcc for your target platform?

-Archie