[Kaffe] problem with bad libgif link in CVS code

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Tue Jan 26 22:49:12 PST 1999

On Jan 27, 1999, Moses DeJong <dejong at cs.umn.edu> wrote:

> I tired it again and it looks like I was wrong before. Using the Gnu ld
> seems to work but using the sun ld does not (this is on a Solaris Sparc
> box version 5.6).

ah!  GNU ld was configured to search /usr/local/lib, whereas
/usr/ucb/ld won't search it.  Isn't gcc configured to use GNU ld?

> So I guess the real way to fix this problem is to add /usr/local/lib
> to the runtime search path in the configure script. Does anyone
> know how I could od that. I have not done much hacking on the Kakke
> configure process so I would not know where to start.

Just add -R/usr/local/lib to LDFLAGS and you're done.  I'm not sure we
should do this by default, though, because gcc won't accept -R on all
platforms, and configure won't use libtool (that accepts it) to
perform its tests :-(

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}