[Kaffe] problem with bad libgif link in CVS code

Moses DeJong dejong at cs.umn.edu
Tue Jan 26 23:07:21 PST 1999

On 27 Jan 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jan 27, 1999, Moses DeJong <dejong at cs.umn.edu> wrote:
>
> > I tired it again and it looks like I was wrong before. Using the Gnu ld
> > seems to work but using the sun ld does not (this is on a Solaris Sparc
> > box version 5.6).

The problem was that gcc would use -L/usr/local/lib so it would link
to libgif but it would not be able to find libgif at runtime so ld
would generate a "can not find libgif.so" error when I tried to run
Kaffe.

> ah!  GNU ld was configured to search /usr/local/lib, whereas
> /usr/ucb/ld won't search it.  Isn't gcc configured to use GNU ld?
>
> > So I guess the real way to fix this problem is to add /usr/local/lib
> > to the runtime search path in the configure script. Does anyone
> > know how I could od that. I have not done much hacking on the Kakke
> > configure process so I would not know where to start.

I was hoping that the configure script could do it so I
would not have to set the LDFLAGS varaible. This really seems
like a problem with automake or gcc and not kaffe but I think
lots of people are going to be bitten by this oh so strange bug.

mo