Compiling Kaffe 1.0b4 on Win96/CYGWIN/ make check fails

Pavel Roskin pavel_roskin at geocities.com
Tue Jul 13 05:19:24 PDT 1999

Hello, Alexandre!

> Has anybody had success with recent snapshots of Kaffe on cygwin?

It works!
With X too.

What about "make check", some modifications are needed.
First of all, classpath should be quoted. make calls /bin/sh, which
interprets $PATHSEP as a command separator.

I've attached a patch which fixes it.

Now HelloWorldApp can be compiled and run. However, its output contains
dos-style line ends, while the expected output (produced by sed) is in
unix style.
Thus, "cmp" finds the difference and the test fails.

I have added some lines to the pipe producing *.out. After that most tests
pass. However, I'm not sure about "the right solution".

Basically, both sed and kaffe can give different results dependent on
Cygwin version, environment and mount mode.

Perhaps, cmp should be replaced with a more tolerant script.

PS. "11 of 84 tests failed"
Not bad for Cygwin 20.1 !

Pavel Roskin