borrowing parts form Kaffe?

golubovsky at altavista.net golubovsky at altavista.net
Mon Jul 26 05:20:23 PDT 1999

From: golubovsky at altavista.net

Is it possible (from various positions) to borrow parts from Kaffe to use in
another projects?

Currently I'm experimenting with creation a whole Java-oriented (with minimal
amount of native code) environment for Linux kernel (this goal is similar to
the goal of one of the JOS project's branches but with different approach).
Probably bytecode interpreter will be written from the scratch. But I'd like
to borrow the Java part (java.* packages) from some external source and apply
some modifications to it. I cannot do this with Sun's JDK in order not to
violate their license, but Kaffe sources are GPLed.

I understand that GPLedness of Kaffe sources allows me to borrow them for
using in my project if it is also GPLed (I plan to do so). I'd like to know
the opinion of Kaffe team people. Of course I'm not going to replace
authorship information (just add some lines about my modifications).

Dmitry M. Golubovsky
      St-Petersburg, Russia