stack slot size

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Mar 2 11:37:45 PST 1999

 Hi,

The advantage of using 8-byte slots is that you can access both
32-bit and 64-bit values using a simple array of jvalues.  This
is more for simplicity than anything else.

Note that this is mainly an issue in the interpreted version.

In the jit version, Kaffe does not use 64bit slots for 32bit
values.  (even when it "should", like for floats that C would
promote to a double).  Other than that, it happens in the jit
version whenever the callMethod? functions are used.  This
happens for JNI and some reflection invocations.

Hope that helps,

	- Godmar