[Kaffe] problems running kaffe on IRIX 6.2.

Moses DeJong dejong at cs.umn.edu
Fri Mar 5 17:20:42 PST 1999

Hello.

I tried to compile and install Kaffe on an IRIX box using
egcs-2.91.60 19981201 (egcs-1.1.1 release) but I had
some problems. First off, the configure script did not
seem to include my X lib directory in the shared lib path.
I had to do this before I could run anything.

% setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /soft/X11R6.3/lib

Then when I ran kaffe I got this error.

% /tmp_mnt/project/neon/users/mo/kaffe/install/bin/kaffe
19264:/tmp_mnt/project/neon/users/mo/kaffe/install/libexec/Kaffe: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/lib32/libiflJFIF.so: __pure_virtual_called

That symbol is in libC.so.

% nm -Bo libC.so | grep pure_virtual
libC.so: 09a15e78 T __pure_virtual_called

% cd kaffe/kaffe

I added -lC to lib tool link line and that fixed it.

Why exactly does kaffe need C++ stuff? I thought was written in C.
Is there something I am missing?

I am also a little unsure how to fix this problem. Is this something
that should go in the IRIX parts of the configure script?

thanks
Mo Dejong
dejong at cs.umn.edu