[Kaffe] could this autogen script be added to kaffe?

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Wed Mar 10 10:04:17 PST 1999

> Hello!
>
> > Could you guys add an autogen script to the main kaffe directory.
> > This script will just run the each of the auto* programs in the
> > correct order. I really hate having to remember the correct order
> > to type in the commands.
>
> First of all, you forgot that all this should also be run in `libltdl'
> directory too.
>
> Secondly, if any CVS user is supposed to run this script, there is no need
> to keep 374273 bytes of 33 Makefile.in's as well as 2 `aclocal.m4' and
> 2 `configure' on CVS.
> Keeping them on CVS creates additional problems while updating.
>
> It looks like that Kaffe developers fight with makefiles rather than with
> failing tests :-(
> Lesstif syndrome :-(

I don't know what you mean by Lesstif syndrome, I like to call it
"automake" syndrome.

My (rather strong) opinion is that the Makefile.in stay in the CVS, and
that developers will have to regenerate them and check in regenerated
versions when they make changes. Just like we've always done it for
configure.

It is bad enough that we now require GNU make to build Kaffe; I don't
want to end up having to require even more tools just to *build* it.
If you don't want to download the Makefile.ins, don't check them out.

	- Godmar