Newbie question

Gunnar Stahl gunnar.stahl at intersystem.net
Fri May 28 04:46:29 PDT 1999

"Edouard G. Parmelan" wrote:

> Gunnar Stahl wrote:
>
> > Then I tried to run the IDE I`m working with for a year now (netbeans
> > developer 2.1.1, completely written in java using jdk1.1 and jfc1.1).
> > When I start it after a few seconds I get the error
> > "java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError [exception was
> > java.lang.NullPointerException]".
>
> Could you send the complete stackTrace of the exception ?
>
> You could also export KAFFE_DEBUG=gdb before start your IDE and inspect
> java and C stack trace with ``jitwhere'' and ``findNativeMethod'' from
> developers/gdbinit.  You may re configure with --enable-debug before.
>
> To load GDB user functions in GDB use ``source path-to-gdbinit'' or create
> a ``.gdbinit'' file.
>
> Hope this helps

Hello !
I am not very used to GDB (in fact, I have only used it once before when
somebody told me what I have to type in).
Without GDB, the only line of information I get is
"java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError [exception was
java.lang.NullPointerException]".
There is no java stack-trace or header or something like that, just this
single line of output.
With GDB I tried the following:
export KAFFE_DEBUG=GDB
execute the netbeans.sh
inside the GDB type "run"
the application starts and results in the same error line mentioned above.
GDB states "program exited normally". When I then type in "backtrace" or "bt"
the GDB says "no stack".

As I said, I am _not_ used to GDB. Maybe there is something else I can do.

Hope this helps

Gunnar