GPL'd DOS port?

Karl Grill grill at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Oct 14 01:28:45 PDT 1999

> Hi all.
>
> On Tue, 18 May 1999 09:31:17 +0200 (CEST)
> Karl Grill <grill at ci.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
> > There is a GPL port of kaffe for dos:
> > http://ns.distribution.co.jp/freeware/java/kaffepc
> > It has a few drawbacks, though:
> > the documentation is in Japanese only (I'm trying to translate it, but
> > it's ten years since I took that language course, so it'll take time...
> > maybe someone that is more fluent in both languages than I am (English
> > isn't my native language either) can help out?),
>
> We have written English documents.
> http://www.distribution.co.jp/freeware/java/kaffepc/en/index.html
>
> --
> // YAMAGUCHI Yuji - yamag at distribution.co.jp -
> // Freeware Distribution Services Co.,Ltd.

Thanks a lot for the information - BTW, I still have a few questions:
1) do you intend to include AWT functionality in a future (hopefully
not too far in the future) release? Is work in this respect going on?
I'm considering to work on this matter (provided I can find a student
who is willing to do part of the work as a course assignment) using
the GRX or SWORD or ALLEGRO libraries
2) Another thing that might be interesting is native method support.
AFAIK, currently kaffepc can only use methods that are compiled into
the executable. I'd like to use DLX to dynamically load native code
(I still don't have enough insight to know how to do this, but at least
I have a tweak that makes the DLX code work with plain C - the current
distribution only works with C++)
3) I'm not too happy about the fact that kaffepc only compiles on
Win9x machines. Currently I'm working on trying to get your code to
compile on my linux box, using the DJGPP cross compiler
Finally, let me congratulate you to the fine work you have done
Best Wishes
kg