seg fault - core dumped

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Thu Apr 6 11:05:19 PDT 2000

Carlyle J. Roberts writes:
> Hi there, I seem to be having problems getting kaffe working. I
  have tried both the 1.0.5 and the cvs snap versions. It seems to
  compile successfully but when I try "make check" each of the tests
  fails and gives a segmentation fault - core dumped.

> I am using FreeBSD - 2.2.7 (which uses aout format so I think
  that prevents me from being able to use the packaged FreeBSD port
  - cause it seems to be elf).

> During compilation I also got some warnings saying that "inter-library
  dependencies are not known to be supported. All declared inter-library
  dependencies are being dropped." Libtool could not satisfy all
  declared inter-library dependencies of modules libnative, libzip,
  libmath, libsecurity. Therefore a static module would be created.

> I did not find anything in the mail list archives that looked
  similar. I also checked to make sure that gcc was using "-g" and
  "O2". I hope that someone can give some help here.

> My system particulars:
> gcc version 2.7.2.1
> gmake 3.78.1
> bash 2.03
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

I've also seen this problem (Illegal instruction fault) on older
FreeBSD systems but have yet to figure out what is happening.
Most likely it's something to do with kaffe's i386 assembly macros
interacting with GCC.

This problem doesn't occur on FreeBSD 3.4 for example.

-Archie