General question

Mo DeJong mdejong at cygnus.com
Wed Apr 12 04:05:48 PDT 2000

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Chris Gray wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Mo DeJong wrote:
>
> > The "best" thing for you to do is write your code on your desktop
> > with the Sun JDK 1.2 installed. Then when your code is finished
> > and you have created your regression tests, compile and run the
> > same code on Kaffe (the GPLed version). If the code does not compile
> > with Kaffe, post a note to the list describing the problem. If you
> > can not fix it yourself, I am sure someone can help you figure
> > out how to fix it. If you can fix the problem yourself, then
> > fix the bug in Kaffe and send a patch to the list.

Good point Chris. Yes, everyone is invited to hack on kaffe
except those poor folks that agreed to a Sun license and looked
at Sun source code. It is important to note that this only applies
to source code for the JVM and class libs. You will need to look
at the Sun JDK docs and the language specs if you want to help out.

> You should probably add that what Julien *shouldn't* do is look at the
> Sun JDK sources to see how to fix kaffe.  In fact if he wants to
> contribute to kaffe then he shouldn't look at Sun's sources at all, right?
>
> --
>
>   Eur. Ing. Chris Gray MBCS C. Eng.       chris.gray at smartmove.be

Mo Dejong
Red Hat Inc.