Problems building Kaffe 1.0.5 on Irix 6.5

Bishop, Michael M Michael.M.Bishop at USAHQ.UnitedSpaceAlliance.com
Wed Feb 16 07:59:14 PST 2000

I've encountered the following problems while attempting to build Kaffe
1.0.5 on Irix 6.5 using gcc 2.95.2 and GNU make:

While compiling kaffe/kaffevm/jit3/funcs.c, I received several messages
stating that NR_ARGUMENTS and NR_REGISTERS were undeclared. These messages
referenced the file config/mips/jit3-mips.def. Since those constants are
defined in config/mips/jit.h, I was able to get around this error by adding
#include "jit.h" to jit3-mips.def.

Next, while compiling kaffe/kaffevm/jit3/machine.c, I received a warning for
an implicit declaration of KAFFEJIT_TO_NATIVE and an error message stating
that NR_REGISTERS was undeclared. I got around this problem by adding
#include "mips/jit.h" to machine.c.

Then, during the next make attempt, I received the following message from
the assembler while compiling machine.c:

"Cannot use data-generating directives in the text section.: .word"

I believe the error occurs where it includes trampolines.c. But I must say
I'm stumped by this one. The assembler being used is /usr/bin/as. I can't
use the GNU assembler because it doesn't accept the -n32 argument.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

--------
Mike Bishop
Michael.M.Bishop at usahq.UnitedSpaceAlliance.com
--------
The comments and opinions expressed are my own and
do not represent the views of United Space Alliance.