Blocked Threads with JNI loop

Stuart Ballard sballard at netreach.net
Thu Jul 20 12:39:17 PDT 2000

Patrick Tullmann wrote:

> > But where is the difference to the sun jvm, is it the threading
> > system?  Or the JNI Implementation?
>
> I don't know enough about JNI to say, but I belive Kaffe's JNI
> implementation is up to speed.  Note that select() and sleep() are not
> part of JNI.  (Right?)

I had heard (second-hand) that Sun's green threads implementation
actually overrides select(), sleep(), and most other potentially
blocking operations so that any C code linked with their Java
implementation gets greenthread-aware versions of these calls. Native
threads don't need such trickery.

Does Kaffe use user-level threads? Would it be worth implementing some
hack like Sun did to avoid this problem?

Stuart.