Problem with SPARC Linux

Patrick Tullmann tullmann at cs.utah.edu
Tue Oct 10 12:02:52 PDT 2000

Nic Ferrier wrote:
> I've installed Kaffe (from the CVS) on a SPARCStation 10 running
> Debian 2.2 but I get a segmentation error when trying to run even the
> simplest of classes.

Most of the ports have bit-rotted in the last several months.  I think
the core developers only use Linux and/or FreeBSD on a regular
basis....

> Anyway got a suggestion of how to solve it?

First, reconfigure with '--enable-debug'.  That will turn on the
run-time debugging support ('kaffe -vmdebug list' will show you what
that can do.)

Are you using the JIT or interpreter version?

Does 'kaffe -fullversion' work?  What does 'kaffe HelloWorld' do?
You'll have to find+compile (or write+compile) HelloWorld, of
course...

A GDB backtrace is the next step....

... perhaps I should write a 'FAQ.debugging' or
'FAQ.kaffedoesnotworkforme' ...

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann at cs.utah.edu
		   A closed mouth gathers no foot.