Unable to get the CommAPI to work.

Kevin L. Pauba klpauba at home.com
Sat Oct 14 13:12:59 PDT 2000

I'm trying to use jikes and kaffe together to develop a java programmer
for the PIC microcontroller.  To do this I need serial and/or parallel
port access.  I'm able to get a program working using the Linux RXTX
implementation of the commapi but can't get it to work using kaffe's.

I'm using kaffe-1.0.6.  Here are some details:

$ env | grep CLASS
CLASSPATH=/usr/local/share/kaffe/comm.jar:/usr/local/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar:.

$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/local/lib/kaffe
$ #     Note: I've run ldconfig already.
$ kaffe Test
Starting ...
Cannot find port!
Done ...
$
CLASSPATH=/usr/local/java.orig/jre/lib/ext/comm.jar:/usr/local/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar:.
kaffe Test
Starting ...
CommPortIdentifier:static initialization()
RXTXCommDriver {}
RXTXCommDriver:initialize()
RXTXCommDriver:getPortPrefixes()
RXTXCommDriver:RegisterValidPorts()
CommPortIdentifier:addPortName(/dev/modem)
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList()
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList() null
CommPortIdentifier:addPortName(/dev/ttyS3)
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList()
CommPortIdentifier:addPortName(/dev/ttyS2)
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList()
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList() index.next
CommPortIdentifier:addPortName(/dev/ttyS1)
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList()
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList() index.next
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList() index.next
CommPortIdentifier:addPortName(/dev/ttyS0)
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList()
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList() index.next
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList() index.next
CommPortIdentifier:AddIdentifierToList() index.next
RXTXCommDriver:getPortPrefixes()
RXTXCommDriver:RegisterValidPorts()
RXTXCommDriver:getPortPrefixes()
RXTXCommDriver:RegisterValidPorts()
RXTXCommDriver:getPortPrefixes()
RXTXCommDriver:RegisterValidPorts()
CommPortIdentifier:getPortIdentifier(/dev/ttyS0)
configure --enable-RXTXIDENT is for developers only
CommPortIdentifier:getName()
port /dev/ttyS0
Done ...

Anyone have ideas to get kaffe's commapi to work?