CharToByteEUC_JP.java instead of CharToByteEUC_JP.ser

Daniel Veillard Daniel.Veillard at w3.org
Tue Oct 31 01:44:50 PST 2000

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 07:01:13AM +0900, Ito Kazumitsu wrote:

> :> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 12:24:38AM +0100, Edouard G. Parmelan wrote:

> >> This is a good idea, and glibc 2.1.3 also provide it.
>
> :>   yep, run iconv --list on a linux box an it speaks for itself.
> :> It's support in glibc-2.2 should also improve, for example support
> :> for new variations of some eastern encodings.
>
> I agree that supporting iconv is a good idea.  But I am afraid
> it may take some time to implement it in kaffe.
>
> Adding charset-dependent programs, CharToByte*.java and
> ByteToChar*.java, may be a less poor solution, but if
> it can be done very easily, it can be a temporary relief
> before the iconv support is realized.

  My personal experience:
    - it's good to have embedded the support for the basic encodings
      you need to support even if iconv is not found
    - but pluging in iconv is not harder than properly debugging
      conversion routines.

 So I agree with your conclusion but not for the same reasons.

Looking at the encoding.c support of libxml may prove helpful ... or not.
  http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/XML/encoding.c

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard at w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit